Sunday, June 16, 2013

Animation Magazine 1993 "Outrageous Issue"

Animation Magazine Outrageous Issue with Beavis and Butthead on the coverMy local comic shop tends to have a large collection of back issue and vintage magazines lurking around, usually for a dollar. One day while digging through some bins of them I came across this 1993 issue of Animation Magazine. I've passed up older volumes of Animation Magazine before because it seems to be largely an insider magazine and generally about stuff I don't care about in the slightest (despite the large amounts of cartoons I watch this side of age 7), but I was pretty excited to stumble across this particular issue, dubbed the "Outrageous Issue" and all about what the early-to-mid 90's did best: ridiculous cartoons. Featuring Beavis & Butthead on the cover and filled with articles and interviews about the shocking cartoons of the day: Rocko's Modern Life, Duckman, Aeon Flux, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and dozens of indie cartoons that have been forgotten through the decades.

I'm not going to scan the whole issue, and I don't plan on including all the things I did scan in this particular post (I plan on saving the MTV articles for another post!) but here are some of the more interesting things. Click for a larger image!

Mr. Lawrence. Rocko's Modern Life director and voice of Filbert.

Duckman


Nightmare Before ChristmasNightmare Before Christmas

Klasky Csupo

One of my favorite articles in the magazine is the more-or-less negative review of The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Disney movie that was a whole generation's first foray into the world of spooky was apparently not scary enough for this reviewer, who, despite working for an Animation magazine seemed disappointed that Disney didn't make an all-out horror movie.

Another thing I'm particularly fond of is the closing statement in the Mr. Lawrence post, about the merits of working within network standard. I think what he's talking about is where the "Adult Party" new Ren & Stimpy episodes failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment